National Opera Week 2015 | Denver Opera Photographer

Happy National Opera Week! I love photographing performances of every kind and Opera Colorado‘s Young Artist production of the Magic Flute was no exception. I got to see the full version of the show and photograph the abridged, young artist version. This version was adapted for a younger audience and kids from schools all over the state came to see it. I love seeing kids engaged in opera.

It was so cool to see the Ellie filled with young student, teachers and parents. The show had romance, drama, and humor so there was something for everyone. This version was all in English and the students learned the story-line in their classes before seeing the show (something I like to do when I go to the opera as well).

denver-opera-photos, denver-opera-photographer, denver-opera-photography, denver-performance-photographer

Cherity Koepk, Director of Education & Community Engagement/Young Artists, introduces the opera.

The three ladies (Amy Maples, Young Artist Katherine Sanford, and Marcia Ragonetti) and Tamino (Young Artist Brett Sprague)

Papageno (Young Artist Andrew Paulson) and Pamina (Young Artist Leah Bobbey)

Sarastro (Young Artist Daniel DeVicente) and Pamina (Young Artist Leah Bobbey) with the Opera Colorado Chorus

Tamino (Young Artist Brett Sprague) with the four elements (Matt Cantwell, Thomas Lynch, Luke North, and Ammon Swofford)

Sarastro (Young Artist Daniel DeVicente) with the Opera Colorado Chorus

Pamina (Young Artist Leah Bobbey)

Queen of the Night (So Young Park) and Pamina (Young Artist Leah Bobbey)

Pamina (Young Artist Leah Bobbey) and Tamino (Brett Sprague)

Tamino (Young Artist Brett Sprague) and Pamina (Young Artist Leah Bobbey) with the Opera Colorado Chorus

Papageno (Young Artist Andrew Paulson), Tamino (Young Artist Brett Sprague), Sarastro (Young Artsit Daniel DeVicente), Pamina (Young Artist Leah Bobbey), and Papagena (Young Artist Katherine Sanford)

Papageno (Young Artist Andrew Paulson) and Papagena (Young Artist Katherine Sanford) with the Opera Colorado Chorus

Conductor – Joseph Mechavish

Stage Director – Jordan Braun

Chorus Master – John Baril

Scenic Design – Stephen D. Mazzeno

Lighting and Projection Design – SeifAllah Salotto-Cristobal

Wig and Makeup Design – Ronell Oliveri

If you or your company need engaging production photos to help you reach new audiences and sell more tickets, please send me a message.

2015-10-27T03:03:02+00:00

20 Comments

1. Ashley McKenzie October 29, 2015 at 5:10 pm - Reply

The photos of the performers are wonderful, but I think the ones of the audience are my favorites! You did a great job of capturing their reactions.

2. Jennifer Koskinen October 29, 2015 at 5:42 pm - Reply

I also love shooting performances — fun to find a comrade in that area in the Betties! Love your audience photos as well — I can feel their excitement, which is a great piece to add to the story!

3. Virginia Stiles October 29, 2015 at 5:54 pm - Reply

I agree with Ashley – love the ones you captured of the audience! Fabulous work.

4. Elizabeth Stamm Weitz October 29, 2015 at 6:05 pm - Reply

Love that you photographed the audience too! That so pulls you in and feels like you are right there watching this. Beautiful!

5. Deziree Dufresne October 29, 2015 at 6:13 pm - Reply

How cool that they have school children come watch the Young Artist Preformance! Such a cool program! The photos of the play are so epic, great job!

6. jenniecrate October 29, 2015 at 6:22 pm - Reply

What a cool idea! Is it the same cast that does both the young artists and the standard performance?

• jamiekrausphoto October 29, 2015 at 8:17 pm - Reply

Thanks Jennie! It was a different cast but all the Young Artists are either understudies or have smaller roles in the standard performances. The Queen of the Night and the chorus is the same though.

7. Sunshine Lump October 29, 2015 at 6:22 pm - Reply

Beautifully done! I love the kids expressions!

8. Willy Wilson October 29, 2015 at 6:24 pm - Reply

Wow that shot of Queen of the Night and Pamina – awesome. Love the opera photography. Fantastic shots of the audience. I’m sure the person behind the guy in the cowboy hat wanted to wring his neck. Didn’t his mamma teach him any manners? You take your hat of when you come inside!

• jamiekrausphoto October 29, 2015 at 8:17 pm - Reply

Haha, I think he took he took it off before the show started. 🙂

9. Ash Meier October 29, 2015 at 6:36 pm - Reply

Wow! What a neat thing to photograph.

10. Melissa October 29, 2015 at 9:55 pm - Reply

This looks like such a fun performance! Awesome job capturing the actors and audience members too.

11. brickandwillowphotography October 30, 2015 at 2:05 am - Reply

I bet that was so fun to be a part of. Great photos!

12. ericaswantekphotography October 30, 2015 at 2:39 am - Reply

Well done!

13. Nicole Nichols Photography October 30, 2015 at 3:33 am - Reply

Awesome pictures, this makes me want to go to the Opera!

14. Rayna October 30, 2015 at 8:49 pm - Reply

I love how you captured this. i feel like I’m there watching it!

15. Devorah Roldan October 30, 2015 at 9:14 pm - Reply

I love watching the Opera and especially with my girls. Such an amazing experience and you capturing these images gives me that amazing feeling back. Great job!

16. Autumn C October 31, 2015 at 5:03 pm - Reply

This is awesome! I love the emotions you captured as if I’m in the play!

17. Melissa Trout November 1, 2015 at 8:06 pm - Reply

These are fantastic! So many beautiful, rich colors and I loved that you captured the audience as well!

18. Monet November 4, 2015 at 4:54 am - Reply

Wow! These are gorgeous! I loved the ones that you took before the show started too.